Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy Birthday!

Birthdays are important days for many people. Some people celebrate their birthdays with extravagance, while others do not really do anything for their birthday. My family has developed their own tradition, which though I may dislike, I am always happy with my birthday festivities. Today happens to be my birthday and I am going to convince you why my family’s birthday celebrations are the best.
Since my birthday is on January 6th, many people happen to be available to celebrate my birthday because it tends to be at the end of winter break. I usually celebrate it with friends and family. Every year I tell my parents that I do not want to do anything for my birthday, they still throw me a party telling me its tradition. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the party, but all the extra getting gifts and cutting a cake is not by favorite, but when it is actually happening, I realize how much I love having everyone there. For my birthdays we usually invite our close Indian friends, who we have known forever and are practically our family here in America. Every year around this time, we go bowling. This is something that always happens. Annually, the only time all of us go bowling is during my birthday time. After that, we all go back to my house and eat food. This year, I invited some friends from school because they really wanted to come to an “Indian party” for some reason, so I invited them. Therefore, my mother cooked authentic Indian food. After eating, everyone just enjoys and talks to each other. I make sure that all the families of our Indian friends come to, because they are pretty much like Aunts and Uncles to me, so it is great to have them around as well. After dinner, the moms, the dads, and the kids are in their own area talking till it is time to cut the cake. In my family and an odd Indian tradition is that everyone close to you serves you a small piece of the cake. Everyone at this party is a close friend, so I get fed cake about 30 times, which amazing yet sickening at the same time. Then it is time to open presents. Finally, after this is done everyone just gets together plays games, cards, and talks till two in the morning. It is an amazing time, and this is just the party.

Sometimes the party is not held on my actual birthday. At times like these, we celebrate on my birthday as well. On my birthday my family goes out to eat, and sometimes we still invite our friends to come as well. Then we go home and cut a cake and the whole feeding process happens again. Once again, more cards are given and once again we sit and talk as long as possible. Oh, and I can’t forget, my family always decorates the house. Gunasekar birthdays are an amazing time. I always say I don’t want a party, which I don’t, but I do love spending time with my friends and family. It just makes the day much better. This is why my family celebrates birthdays in the most magnificent way.

No comments:

Post a Comment