Thursday, December 5, 2013

Being an Indian In an Airport

For people who have white skin color or an American background do not understand the troubles of being a colored person travelling in an airport, especially one in America. People who have talk in a different language than English, wear unique clothing, or have a different skin color, especially one that seems to be any shade of brown, have some of the hardest times at an airport. For some odd reason these people are magically chosen for special screening. Every time I am at an airport, I face these troubles. Just standing in line I observe the way that our country still remains prejudice, though we say we believe in equality for all.

I remember one time I was at the Chicago airport with my brother and mom. We were leaving for India and my mom was dressed up in traditional Indian clothing. As we waited in line at security, my mother was on the phone with her family in India to tell them we were leaving from America. Because our family in India does not speak English, my mom was talking in her native Indian language, Tamil. At this time, I was just bored and standing in line in observing what was happening. That is when I, as a young child, realized that people were not being treated equally. A few people in front of us had accents and were sent into the special screening line. However, other people who seemed like normal Americans, were let through with little notice. When it was my family’s turn, we were obviously sent to the special screening line. We checked every suspicion on the security guard’s list. Brown skin, check. Different clothing, check. Speaking a mysterious language, check. I was not pleased with our treatment because I was a young child who has lived in America for my whole life, with no intention of doing anything wrong. Yet, I was still forced to go through a special checking that screened the whole body and opened our bags. We had to wait extra time, and watched plenty of Americans just zoom through security. How unfair! I understand that it is the security’s intention to protect the country, the plane, and the citizens. However, that does not mean just screen people who fit the check list for a terrorist. I believe this type of treatment needs to stop. I mean, if I as a young child, could notice that they were being prejudice, there is something wrong. Nowadays, this special treatment of people who do not look the same as others or act the same as typical Americans, has improved, but it still occurs.

Another time, I was traveling for a school activity with two of my friends and a teacher. We were heading back from Washington D.C. I was an Indian who had brown skin color and my friend, Fatima, was a Muslim wearing a head scarf. My other friend, Lauren, and my teacher went through security in a breeze. My friend, Fatima, and I were sent to a special screening area. Though we were travelling as a group, the security guards wanted to make sure the Indian and Muslim were checked in more detail than the other Americans. This angered both my friend and I, but by now we have gotten used to it. I think this system must change still. If some people are specifically being targeted to have a special screening, then everyone should. America is built on the foundation of equality, and this treatment does not seem that equal to me. It seems as if they are being prejudice and racist. It is not fair, I am tired of it, and it must change. Oh, the struggles of being an Indian in an airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment