Saturday, February 8, 2014

Get Over It!

Recently, an advertisement aired on TV that created much controversy. It was an ad that was shown during the Superbowl for Coca-Cola. If you have not seen the ad, the basic gist of it goes as follows, many people from different cultures, religions, ages, sexuality all are shown drinking Coke. In the background is the song America the Beautiful playing, but sung in a variety of different languages. This is what was the controversy has revolved around. Till now, I have not stated my point, but recently in class we were watching the ads and a few kids said it should only be in English, because all Americans must speak English, otherwise they are not American.

Obviously, this angered me to the point where I wanted to slap these people. However, I refrained myself, and just took myself away from the situation. As a first generation American, growing up in America is somewhat a difficult thing. But, I would not trade it for anything else. I have gotten so many opportunities that I would not have had. Plus, I have more freedom, and for a girl especially. If my family remained in India, I would not have the dreams I have today and I would not be able to achieve them. I am very lucky to live here and cannot imagine another life. Every time I go back to India, I love visiting the place, but by the end of the vacation, I want to leave, because there is nothing to do. Here, if we have so much going on and most people are accepting and are our friends.

I do not see a major problem with this ad, especially the fact that America the Beautiful is sung in a variety of different languages. The fact that there is so much controversy about this, just disgusts me. First of all, America is such a diverse country. That is what makes it so beautiful. People from all around the world have come together to live and enjoy freedom, without being judged. It warms my heart to see people whose nations are fighting, but live here and are best friends. Because when people live here, yes they may be from a different country, but they are American too. Some may say that these immigrants are not American, but yes they are. A lot have lived year for their whole life, how does that make them less of an American than a white person. Just because their skin color is different and not white, just because their religion is not Christianity, just because they are not fluent in English, that does not mean they are not American. I thought we live in a better country than that. I thought we live in a country that accepts all, but obviously I was wrong and that disgusts me to be honest.

Sitting in a class where people are basically telling you that you are not American because you are not white and your family is not from here and because your family does not speak English, it just shows how ignorant some people are. I am as American as the rest of you; we are all American, just from different places around the world. That is what America is, a cultural melting pot, with a variety of people from all over the world. I hope that one day; this intolerance does not exist, because I definitely do not want to live in a place like that. Do not get me wrong, I absolutely love living in this country and most people are accepting of others, but there is always that select few. Those select few may say, America the Beautiful, is America’s song. But, just think about who makes up America, and if your answer is only white people who speak English, then you are an ignorant and oblivious person who probably needs to reconsider their life. Have a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment